Wholesome, flavorful and satisfying describe this Baked Stuffed Peppers recipe, based on the Mennonite Community Cookbook.
I’ve modified the recipe, adding some flavors our family enjoys. This dish is simple to put together, and even those who don’t care for peppers will enjoy the stuffing from inside!
The first step of this recipe is to cook your rice (I use brown Basmati, as it creates a nice texture and flavor in the stuffed peppers). All the other prep work can be done while the rice is cooking. Now it’s time to chop & prepare your vegetables.
Remove the tops from your peppers, and take out seeds and membrane from the inside.
Saute onions and garlic in a bit of olive oil, and brown the seasoned ground beef. Add diced tomatoes. Parboil the prepared peppers for 5 minutes, by placing them in boiling water, and removing promptly when the timer rings.
Drain the peppers, and now they’re ready to stuff!
Combine vegetables, ground beef, rice and parmesan cheese in pan. (*I kept some of the mixture to the side before adding parmesan cheese, so that I have a gluten and dairy-free serving for a family member.)
Place peppers in a greased baking dish. Spoon your prepared mixture into the peppers. (The red pepper is our dairy-free and gluten-free pepper. 🙂 )
Next top the peppers with Panko bread crumbs that have been toasted in butter, and combined with Parmesan cheese.
Place in the oven and bake for only 25 minutes. Top with sour cream, and ENJOY!
*This recipe is based on one from the Mennonite Community Cookbook
- 8, medium sized bell peppers
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 3 cups prepared rice (1 cup rice, cooked in 2 cups water, using standard rice cooking instructions)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and a dash of red pepper
- 1 teaspoon (or more) basil
- 1 teaspoon (or more) oregano
- 2 Tablespoons browned butter
- 3/4 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese ( 1/2 for meat and rice filling, and 1/2 cup for breadcrumb topping
- Sour Cream for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350, and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Cook and salt rice according to directions. While rice is cooking, prepare vegetables and stuffing:
- Fill large pot with water, place on stove and bring to boil.
- Cut tops off peppers, remove seeds and veins.
- Place peppers in boiling water for 5 minutes and then remove immediately. Drain off excess water.
- Mince onions and garlic, lightly saute in skillet, add ground beef and seasonings, (salt, black and red pepper, basil and oregano), and cook until beef is browned. Add cooked rice and parmesan cheese.
- Stuff peppers evenly.
- Melt butter in skillet, brown slightly and add bread crumbs. Toast lightly. Turn off heat and add parmesan cheese. Place this mixture on top of stuffed peppers, arranged in baking dish.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, then turn to 400 and back for 5 additional minutes.
- Garnish with sour cream if desired.
For dairy-free, gluten-free version: Omit parmesan cheese in the filling, and refrain from topping with breadcrumb/cheese mixture. Be sure to prepare the rice with olive oil instead of butter.